Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 509 | 510 | (Page 511) | 512 | 513 | .... | 549 | newer

    0 0

    The former Archbishop of Newark allegedly invited young priests and seminarians to a Shore house in Sea Girt.

    0 0

    Commuters may still face up to a 45-minute delay on both the NJ Coastline and North East Corridor lines.

    NJ Transit and Amtrak trains face extensive delays from a temporary suspension of service Tuesday morning due to a gas leak near the Rahway train station.

    The suspension has been lifted, but residual delays of up to 45 minutes, NJ Transit spokeswoman Lisa Torbic said.  

    PATH service cross-honored NJ Transit rail tickets and passes from New York Penn Station, Hoboken, and NY-33rd street until 10 a.m.

    Amtrak trains 2109 and 2100 are currently operating about 45 minutes late and train 185 is about 30 minutes late, according to an Amtrak Northeast Twitter update.

    Officials say the gas leak was not related to either train system.

    Cassidy Grom may be reached at Follow her at @cassidygrom. Find on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us.


    0 0

    An unidentified man was struck twice on Interstate 80 on Sunday. Police want the public's help finding one of the drivers.

    State Police are asking for the public's help as they seek the driver who fled after  hitting a pedestrian, who later died.

    A vehicle headed eastbound on Interstate 80 in Paterson near milepost 58.9  it struck a man walking in the center lane at 7:44 p.m. Sunday, officials said.

    After the man was struck once, a Honda Civic hit him again, according to police. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

    The driver of the Honda stayed on the scene and is cooperating with police, but the driver of the first car left the scene after hitting the man, officials said.

    Police are still trying to confirm the victim's identity, State Police Spokesman Sgt. Lawrence Peele said.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact New Jersey State Police Totowa Station at 973-785-9419. Anonymous tips are welcome.

    Cassidy Grom may be reached at Follow her at @cassidygrom. Find on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us.

    0 0

    'Best Shot' is an unvarnished and up-close look at Newark Central's 2017-18 basketball season.

    0 0

    Find out where New Jersey's highest paid president ranks.

    0 0

    A New Jersey immigrant whose lived here for 26 years is slated for deportation.

    Gazi Hussan fled Bangladesh 26 years ago to escape political violence after he said he was beaten by members of a rival political party that came into power.

    When he arrived in the United States in 1992, Hussan filed for political asylum, then waited 15 years for a hearing while he was employed at an East Orange liquor store.

    "Immigration forgot about him,'' said his attorney, Joseph C. Sekula. "They dropped the ball for 15 years.''

    He was eventually denied political asylum in 2009 and lost an appeal. However, U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement allowed him to stay while his case went under court review.

    "Since that time, we've been able to show immigration that he's had a good life here,'' Sekula said.

    He's married, has four children and worked his way up to manager at Maple Liquors, a few blocks from East Orange City Hall. Three years ago, he bought a house in Paterson, where his family lives.

    But in the past six months, Hussan said immigration told him he has to leave, even though he has done what officials have asked of him -- he's checked in annually and obtained worked permits his entire time here.

    On July 24, he reports to the ICE office in Newark with a plane ticket to find out his fate.

    "I don't know what's going to happen,'' Hussan said.

    ICE is clear about his future in a statement it released.

    "Over the last 10 years, Gazi Hussan's immigration case has undergone extensive judicial review at multiple levels of the nation's judicial system, including both immigration courts and federal appeals courts,'' according to the agency. "In each review, the courts have uniformly held that Mr. Hussan does not have a legal basis to remain in the U.S.''

    Hussan says he's is not worried about what happens to him if he's deported to Bangladesh by Aug. 1.

    The tears in his eyes Tuesday were for his family as he stood in the lobby of East Orange City Hall.

    "If I leave here, nobody is going to take care of my kids,'' and his family, said Hussan, the sole provider.

    Ask Alexa

    Hussan leaned on the city for support during a rally in city hall where city and state officials called on ICE to stop his deportation. In town, Hussan is known by many as a family man, whose made himself a part of the community.

    Mayor Ted Green said he remembers Hussan from his high school days, and ironically, he finds himself in a position trying to help the man he saw as a teenager.

    "He's always been an honorable and honest man in the community, and who would have known that with me becoming the mayor would one day have to come to his defense,'' Green said.

    Hussan remembers Green, too, as a youth, and thanked him Tuesday for bringing attention to his plight.

    Hussan's boss, Sid B. Sheth, has stepped up as well. As president of the Sail Corporation, which owns the liquor store, Sheth has written letters to immigration and to political leaders to help his friend, whom he described as a loyal employee.

    "This is very unjust," Sheth said. "He's a good man. He has a clean record, pays his taxes. What good are you doing by separating the family?''

    College could be in jeopardy for his oldest son, Masroor, 17, who said he may have to find employment, instead.

    "I'm the oldest in the family,'' he said. "If he gets deported, I'm going to have to take care of everything.''

    Neighborhood thinks veterans 'are not worthy to live next door,' lawsuit says

    They're still holding out hope, though. Hussan's attorney has filed a motion to reopen his asylum case because of "change of country conditions" in Bangladesh.

    He said Hussan could get arrested if he returned. And he doesn't want his wife and children in Bangladesh, either. The country, Sekula said, has a huge problem with human trafficking.

    After the rally for his father, Hussan's 14-year-old son Mabroor walked up to Sekula in the city council chambers to express his appreciation for all the attorney has done.

    "Thank you for helping my dad,'' he said.

    Mabroor said he wants to grow up with his father, so his dad can see what he becomes in life. Right now, he worries about his sister, Mamtaz, 9. He didn't know how to respond to her the other night when she said, "daddy's going home.''

    "It broke my heart,'' he said.

    For his dad, America is home. It's all Hussan knows.

    "This is my country,'' he said.

    Barry Carter may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @BarryCarterSL. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    A phrase as 'New Jersey' as 'What exit?"

    If you've ever wondered about the etymology of the phrase 'down the shore,' weighs in with an answer:

    "In New Jersey, you invariably go "down the shore." Baltimore natives, meanwhile, say they're going "down the ocean" -- but in Baltimorese (make that Bawlmerese), the phrase sounds more like "downy eaushin." The down of "down the shore" and "down the ocean" doesn't necessarily imply a southward journey. As in many dialects along the Eastern Seaboard, 'down' can be used as a preposition indicating movement from the inland toward the shoreline."

    MORE: Vintage photos around New Jersey

    Here's a gallery of folks who participated in movement from the inland toward the shoreline in New Jersey, as well as these links to other galleries you may enjoy.

    Vintage photos of N.J. folks going 'Down the Shore'

    Vintage photos of going down the Shore in N.J.

    Vintage photos of the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer in N.J.

    Greg Hatala may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @GregHatala. Find Greg Hatala on Facebook.

    0 0

    According to its Trulia listing, the taxes on the property are $39,601.29.

    In this week's "Sold!" property, we feature a recently rebuilt, resort-like home in Short Hills with 2,824 square feet of living space.

    The house sold for $3,250,000 in June 2018. According to its Trulia listing, the taxes on the property are $39,601.29.

    The home features eight bedroom suites, 10 bathrooms and a salt water pool and hot tub. The house was assessed at $1,943,400.

    The median sale price for homes in the area is $1,454,999.

    Sophie Nieto-Munoz may be reached at Follow her at @snietomunoz. Find on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us.

    0 0

    Rutgers just raised tuition and fees again. Here's what it means for your wallet.

    Rutgers University on Wednesday announced another increase in tuition and fees that will force families to dig deeper into their pockets to pay for college. 

    The 2.3 percent increase will bring the price of tuition and fees to about $14,975 for the typical in-state undergraduate student at the New Brunswick campus. 

    Throw in room and board, and the average first-year student from New Jersey will pay nearly $28,000 for their first year on campus. 

    Here's what else students should know about the 2018-19 tuition hike. 

    Undergraduate tuition and fees

    Rutgers' tuition and fees vary by campus and school, so there are dozens of rates. The university releases an average tuition and fee rate for the typical student on each campus.

    At Rutgers-New Brunswick, the average in-state undergraduate will pay $14,975 in annual tuition and fees, or about $337 more. 

    Students at Rutgers-Newark will also see a 2.3 percent increase in tuition and fees. The cost will rise to $14,410 for the average undergraduate, about $325 more than last year. 

    For Rutgers-Camden students, the cost will rise 2.3 percent as well. The average undergraduate will pay $14,836, an increase of $335.

    Room and board

    The cost of housing for the average student living on campus will go up 1.9 percent in New Brunswick, Newark and Camden. 

    Rutgers is raising the cost of the typical meal plan by 2.25 percent. 

    In New Brunswick, that means the cost of room and board (based on a standard double-occupancy room) will jump $590 to $12,706. 

    Out-of-state students 

    The university is also hiking tuition for out-of-state students by 2.3 percent, and they'll pay $31,282 for tuition and fees.

    Add room and board to that, and out-of-state students are paying a total bill of about $43,988. 

    Part-time students 

    On the New Brunswick campus, part-time undergraduates from New Jersey will pay between $383 and $486 per credit, depending on their school. Most classes are three credits.

    Part-time students will also be charged between $646 and $822 in annual fees.

    Graduate students

    Graduate students from New Jersey will pay between $718 and $1,005 per credit for programs on the New Brunswick campus, including education, the arts, communications and social work. Annual fees for full-time students will range from $1,851 to $2,515.

    Law school

    The Rutgers School of Law will charge $25,077 in tuition for in-state students, plus $2,715 in annual fees.

    Medical school

    New Jersey Medical School in Newark will charge new in-state students $40,274 in tuition and $2,735 in fees. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School on the New Brunswick-Piscataway campus will charge incoming students $40,274 in tuition and $1,770 in fees.

    Adam Clark may be reached at Follow him on twitter at @realAdamClarkFind on Facebook.


    0 0

    One of the main finding from the Center on Juvenile Criminal Justice is that juvenile curfew laws overwhelmingly targets African-American and Latino youth

    0 0

    Applications accepted through Aug. 31

    Newark Fire Division is recruiting firefighters.

    Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 34, live in Newark, have a high school diploma and hold a valid New Jersey driver's license. U.S. citizenship is also required.

    Apply through Aug. 31 at the Civil Service Commission website. For more information, call 973-733-7446 or visit any Newark firehouse.


    0 0

    After regaining consciousness, authorities said, the clerk identified his attacker as a customer of the store.

    In a brutal robbery two years ago, Gregory Bentley forced his way to the back of a Newark variety store and fired 15 shots into the body of a helpless store clerk.

    Gregory BentleyGregory Bentley. (Essex County Prosecutor's Office)

    The clerk survived, but Bentley will now spend at least 22 years of his own life behind bars for what an Essex County assistant prosecutor called a "heinous" crime.

    Superior Court Marysol Rosero on Wednesday sentenced Bentley, 24, to 26 years in prison for attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault and other charges, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office said. Bentley must serve 85 percent of the sentence before he's eligible for parole.

    "Yesterday's sentence reflects how heinous this robbery and attempted murder truly were," Assistant Prosecutor Austin Edwards said in a statement. "While nothing can make up for what happened to these victims, I hope this brings some closure as they continue to heal physically and emotionally from this horrific event."

    The prosecutor's office said Bentley, who was convicted at trial in April, became trapped inside the Top Dog variety store on Clinton Avenue immediately after the Jan. 18, 2016, robbery and shooting.

    When the clerk regained consciousness, authorities said, he identified Bentley -- a store customer -- as his attacker.

    Three other people took part in the robbery but have not been charged, according to the prosecutor's office.

    Thomas Moriarty may be reached at Follow him on Twitter at @ThomasDMoriartyFind on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us.

    0 0

    East Orange Mayor Ted R. Green announced the hiring of Jose Cordero, the city's former safety director, as the liaison for public safety.

    A police department mired in legal troubles from inside its ranks has brought back a familiar face with a lauded policing resume but controversial leadership style to help bridge the gap as the city continues its search for a director.

    East Orange Mayor Ted R. Green announced the hiring of Jose Cordero, the city's former safety director, as the mayor's liaison for public safety -- a three-months-long post that comes with a $37,500 contract. 

    "With bringing in Joe, it only adds to what we've been doing here the last four years," Green said, touting Cordero's law enforcement tactics that received national attention and the city's reduction in crime over the last few years. 

    The hiring was announced Thursday from the police headquarters at a time when the city and the department's administration face at least eight lawsuits brought by its own officers over a number of accusations, including sexual misconduct and retaliatory discipline. 

    Cordero will help fill the void left by Sheilah Coley, who resigned as public safety director on June 8, three weeks before her latest short-term deal was set to expire.

    When Cordero was police director in the late 2000s, he and then-Police Chief Ron Borgo garnered attention from hundreds of other police departments across the country and from agencies in Austria and Brazil for the policing strategies they implemented to combat crime in the city.

    The council was split on the rehiring of Cordero in 2010 and eventually did not approve a new contract, with half citing the improvements the departments made in violent crime rates and the others questioning the top cop's abrasive management style that allegedly alienated a large portion of the department.

    Asked about previous complaints of his management style Thursday, Cordero said he's always been respectful to his officers who did their jobs to serve the community.

    "You can call it abrasive, but I call it accountability," he said.

    Officials played down any concerns of potential conflicts of interest with the hiring of Cordero, whose company, The Cordero Group, has had contracts with East Orange for policing software and currently is contracted to install and maintain cameras in the city. 

    The mayor would not comment on how Cordero could help address the allegations of systemic issues inside the police department, citing ongoing litigation.

    One of the East Orange police leaders at the center of the majority of the lawsuits, Anthony Cook, retired last month from his post as police inspector, a position just below the chief. 

    Chief Phyllis Bindi is also accused of adding to the culture on the force in which officers who complained were allegedly ignored and disciplined for speaking out.

    Bindi was named chief in 2017, becoming the first woman to hold the post in East Orange history.

    Cordero was also criticized for appearing to consolidate power within the department. The decision to not rehire Cordero led to Borgo departure in the following weeks

    Craig McCarthy may be reached at 732-372-2078 or at Follow him on Twitter @createcraig and on Facebook here. Find on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us.

    0 0

    McCarrick, the former head of the Newark and Metuchen dioceses, was removed from public ministry last month after an accusation he sexually abused a New York teenager.

    A man whose family was close to Cardinal Theodore McCarrick says the church leader sexually abused him for 20 years beginning when the boy was 11 years old in New Jersey, according to a report in the New York Times.

    The man, identified only as James, said he was baptized at Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Tenafly by McCarrick when the future cardinal was a newly-ordained Catholic priest. James and his six siblings referred to McCarrick, who frequently spent time with the family, as "Uncle Teddy."

    Years later, McCarrick allegedly pulled his pants down in front of the then 11-year-old boy in his bedroom, the report said. When the boy was 13, McCarrick began touching him sexually, James said.

    Here's what N.J. church paid McCarrick's alleged victims

    The alleged sexual abuse included incidents in San Francisco and at a fishing camp in New York, the report said.

    The alleged abuse continued when James was an adult and he occasionally stayed overnight with then-Bishop McCarrick when the rising church leader lived in the rectory in the Diocese of Metuchen, the report said. James also said he stayed overnight with McCarrick after he became head of the Archdiocese of Newark in 1986.

    Last month, McCarrick was removed from public ministry after he was accused of sexually abusing a teenage altar boy in New York nearly 50 years ago. A church panel found that allegation credible.

    McCarrick, 88, is one of the highest-ranking American church leaders removed from ministry over sex abuse allegations. He has said he does not remember the New York incident 50 years ago and believes he is innocent.

    James said that news of McCarrick's removal last month prompted him to begin talking publicly about his alleged abuse. 

    "I got down on my knees and I thanked God that I am not alone and it is going to be O.K.," James told the New York Times. "And I can tell somebody and someone is going to believe me."

    McCarrick's spokeswoman, Susan Gibbs, said he had not been notified of James' accusation, the report said. The cardinal will follow the church's procedure for investigating alleged abuse, she said.

    James' account of his alleged abuse will be sent to police in San Francisco, New Jersey and possibly New York, his attorney said. The alleged victim plans to seek a financial settlement from the church, which has compensation funds for victims of priest sexual abuse.

    Earlier this week, the New York Times reported the dioceses in New Jersey has previously reached financial settlements with alleged adult victims of McCarrick's sexual misconduct.

    They included an $80,000 settlement in 2005 and a $100,000 settlement in 2007. Both involved former priests who said McCarrick inappropriately touched them.

    Kelly Heyboer may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @KellyHeyboer. Find her at KellyHeyboerReporter on Facebook.


    0 0

    An NJ Transit rider posted the picture on Twitter

    NJ Transit is investigating an incident in which a boy was spotted brandishing a toy rifle at the Bloomfield station.

    Nancy Snyder, spokeswoman for NJ Transit, said the boy - a juvenile whose age was not immediately given - was with his mother at the time, and witnesses have told police the gun was a toy.

    An investigation into the incident was ongoing and NJ Transit is working with local police after being alerted to the tweet.

    Snyder said the incident did not affect rail service.

    The photo was taken by Tom Wright-Piersanti at the Bloomfield station and posted on Twitter shortly before 2 p.m. Thursday.

    Taylor Tiamoyo Harris may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @ladytiamoyo.

    Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Jermaine Ramirez previously had been arrested a number of times for breaking and entering into homes - and was known as the fedora-hat bandit

    A Newark man previously known as the alleged fedora-wearing bandit for breaking into multiple homes last year has been charged with breaking into more homes and sexually assaulting a 67-year-old woman. 

    Rahway police say Jermaine Ramirez, 24, broke into the home of the 67-year-old woman and two other homes on the morning of June 29 between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. 

    The woman had fallen asleep on a sofa and woke up to Ramirez on top of her. Union County Prosecutor's Office said in a press statement the woman was hospitalized with minor injuries.

    JermaineRamirezzz.jpgThe fedora-hat bandit in a police sketch from last year, and Jermaine Ramirez, 24, on the right. (NJ State Police) 

    Before the alleged June 29 home invasions, Ramirez originally was scheduled to be sentenced on July 5 after pleading guilty for charges stemming from another home invasion in 2017. 

    Police say in last year's incident, Ramirez broke into a Belleville home, grabbed a woman and pulled her into another room in her home around 3:45 a.m.

    The woman's young son woke up during the ensuing struggle and alerted his grandfather before the suspect escaped.

    New Jersey State Police had produced a sketch and Belleville police put out an alert for the 2017 intruder, noting he wore a fedora and a mask. 

    Ramirez was caught and eventually indicted in Essex County on charges of aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault during robbery and burglary. 

    However, as a part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped all charges except the second-degree burglary charge which was downgraded to a third degree charge. 

    Last May, Judge Alfonse Cifelli denied prosecutors request for pretrial detention for Ramirez who had since remained free. 

    The same judge, also denied prosecutor's request for pretrial detention for now-deceased Dominick Richards, 49, who was indicted on charges for assaulting a woman at gunpoint in Newark.

    Less than two months later, Richards went on to kill the woman, Anishalee Cortes, 22, before killing himself. 

    On July 10, Judge Michael L. Ravin granted prosecutors request for pretrial detention for Ramirez. 

    Ramirez remains in Essex County jail with his next court date set for September 7. 

    Taylor Tiamoyo Harris may be reached at Follow her on Twitter @ladytiamoyo.

    Find on Facebook.  

    0 0

    Akeem Cauthen pleaded guilty in Newark federal court on Thursday

    A former U.S. Postal Service employee admitted stealing packages containing marijuana that passed through the mail processing center where he worked.

    Akeem Cauthen, 30, of Newark, pleaded guilty to one count of mail theft on Thursday, U.S. Attorney Craig Carpenito said in a statement.

    Cauthen worked at the Northern New Jersey Metro Processing and Distribution Center in Teterboro. Between May and November 2017, he looked for mail parcels from Arizona, California or Colorado. Recreational marijuana is legal in both of the latter states.

    Cauthen would smell, open or puncture the packages to look for weed, Carpenito said. 

    When Cauthen found packages with what he was looking for, he would replace its mailing label with a new one directing it to addresses in Paterson where he would later pick them up. The U.S. Attorney's Office in New Jersey valued the 16 parcels containing the drug at $32,000.

    The vulnerabilities of the postal service to drug trafficking were documented in a January 2018 congressional report.

    According to NBC Washington, 35,000 pounds of marijuana were seized from the mail in 2015. ABC News reported that between fiscal years 2016 and 2017, the number of intercepted packages containing opioids rose 880 percent domestically and 375 percent internationally.

    Carpenito gave credit to agents in the postal service Inspector General's office. He said their investigation led to Cauthen's guilty plea before U.S. District Judge Susan D. Wigenton in Newark federal court.

    Cauthen is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 24. The maximum punishment is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, or twice the gross gain or loss from the crime.

    Joe Brandt can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JBrandt_NJ. Find on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us. 


    0 0

    Nine passengers and a NJ Transit bus driver were taken to the hospital after the crash, though none of the injuries were believed to be serious

    A wild overnight police chase sparked by multiple robberies in Essex County ended early Friday in Newark when a church van slammed into a NJ Transit bus and sent several people onboard to the hospital, authorities said.

    Nine passengers and a driver were on the bus when the van, which appears to have been stolen from Bethlehem Judah Christian Fellowship Church in Elizabeth, hit the bus Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street, according to Newark Public Safety Director Anthony F. Ambrose.

    All 10 people on board the bus were taken to the hospital, but none of the injuries was believed to be serious, Ambrose said.

    "Two suspects have been apprehended by Newark Police after robbing three victims using three different vehicles last night and this morning," Ambrose said in a statement. The names of the suspects have not been released.

    The robberies began about 11:35 p.m. Thursday when two people wearing masks robbed a victim at gunpoint in the 200 block of Eastern Parkway. The suspects fled in a white Ford van with Massachusetts plates, police said.

    Five minutes later, two masked suspects driving a white U-Haul van robbed a person at gunpoint near South Orange Avenue, according to police.

    At about 1:16 a.m. Friday, police responded to a report of a robbery in the 200 block of Park Avenue. Two masked suspects in a white church van approached a man and demanded his cash. The suspects fit the same description as the suspects in the earlier robberies, Ambrose said.

    The van was seen by police in Maplewood shortly after 2 a.m., according to Ambrose.

    Maplewood police chased the van back into Newark, but stopped when a police cruiser crashed into a car near Colgate and Broom, Ambrose said.

    No one was seriously injured in the craash and Ambrose said the driver of the car refused medical treatment at the scene.

    Essex County Sheriff's deputies continued the chase until the van struck the NJ Transit bus near Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street, Ambrose said.

    "The two suspects were apprehended by Newark Police," Ambrose said. "A weapon was recovered."

    Police did not release additional information Friday morning, saying updates would come later.

    Anthony G. Attrino may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @TonyAttrino. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    The passenger refused to check an oversized bag when she got on board in Indianapolis

    A passenger who refused to check an oversized bag when she boarded a Newark-bound flight Monday night and then verbally abused the United Airlines crew caused a five-hour delay.

    United instructed all the passengers to get off the plane before it departed from Indianapolis while they attempted to deal with the woman, the airline said in a statement. 

    Flight 3708 was scheduled to leave at 7:05 p.m. but passengers had to wait for a different plane and didn't end up taking off until 12:17 a.m.

    11 ways United Airlines continued to make news in ways it probably regrets

    The angry passenger eventually got off the plane.

    To make matters worse, all the food vendors in the terminal were closed, according to

    Jeff Goldman may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find on Facebook.



    0 0

    A federal grand jury has indicted an Essex County man accused of robbing three banks throughout North Jersey, including two in Jersey City. Mark Macon, 45, of Irvington appeared in Newark federal court Thursday to face three counts of bank robbery stemming from a trio of incidents between January and April. According to the three-count indictment, Macon made off with...

    A federal grand jury has indicted an Essex County man accused of robbing three banks throughout North Jersey, including two in Jersey City.

    Mark Macon, 45, of Irvington appeared in Newark federal court Thursday to face three counts of bank robbery stemming from a trio of incidents between January and April.

    According to the three-count indictment, Macon made off with $2,700 in the three robberies. Macon allegedly robbed a TD Bank in Union on Jan. 13, and got away with $700. He then robbed a TD Bank in Jersey City of $1000 on April 19, and a Chase Bank in Jersey City four days later, making off with another $1000, the indictment states. 

    Federal authorties say Macon robbed each location by handing a teller a note stating the bank was being robbed and demanding cash.

    He was arrested on April 26 and has been in state custody since that time. He was initially charged with carrying out the two robberies in Jersey City, but authorities then linked him to the heist in Union.

    In the April 19 robbery, Macon entered the TD Bank on 18th Street in Jersey City and told the teller "No one has to get hurt," according to a criminal complaint filed in Hudson County Superior Court earlier this year.

    During the April 23 robbery at a Washington Boulevard Chase Bank, he allegedly made a gesture implying he had a weapon in his jacket, the criminal complaint states.

    Each bank robbery charge carries a maximum potential penalty of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense.

older | 1 | .... | 509 | 510 | (Page 511) | 512 | 513 | .... | 549 | newer